Friday, September 21, 2007

This is for you Gossip Guru

So "Sydney White" opens today in theatres everywhere. It stars Amanda Bynes (Hairspray, She's the Man, What I Like About You) and is a modern retelling of the Snow White fairytale. A close Ebuzz friend (that's you Gossip Guru) first brought the film to my attention. I, sadly, have a thing for cheesy chick flicks (past loves include 10 Things I Hate About You, A Cinderella Story, and John Tucker Must Die). I decided to test the waters with this one and went to some sites online to research the film (I don't pay 8 bucks to see complete crap, only partial crap). What I found amused me greatly. Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie a 48% fresh rating. That is about 40% higher than I anticipated. The "Cream of the crop" reviewers had relatively nice things to say...mostly about Bynes performance, but about aspects of the movie in general as well.
Generally you can tell how a movie is going to play out by the coverage it gets in media outlets prior to its release. So, I, like a good entertainment director, went to Youtube and watched some of Amanda's appearances on shows like Leno (seen here), The Early Show, and so on and so forth. Bynes is cute and seems honestly excited about her role in the film. You can tell she is still on cloud 9 from the success of her most recent film "Hairspray". I feel bad because we all know that "Sydney White" is not going to do nearly as well. Then again the intended audiences are much different. So I got to thinking, who, besides me, would watch this stuff? And then I got to thinking even more...when was the last film that came out targeting the teen audience?
Sydney White is based on a college campus and deals with the ever popular Greek system (Michigan students does this ring a bell?). Maybe some other college kids will go out for a good laugh. There hasn't been a major teen flick in some time (at least none noteable enough that I can remember...and trust me I'd remember). This could be more successful than I thought.
My question is...would YOU see a movie like Sydney White? Is there room in Hollywood for more teen/early twenties films or have we moved past that point in our lives? Are teenagers watching more adult films now...making the need for teen centered films irrelevant?
Either way I will probably find myself in the near future forking over the 8 dollars so I can see a movie that probably isn't that great but will make me laugh. Feel free to join me.

No comments: