Monday, January 28, 2008

Do the New Kids on the Block still have "The Right Stuff"

Before there was the Backstreet Boys...before Justin Timberlake wooed girls everywhere with his moves (and hair) in N'SYNC...there were the New Kids on the Block. My cousins had their bed spreads, sleeping bags, posters, a zillion issues of Teen Beat with them on the cover...
And why not? NKOTB were the 80's and early 90's teen version of the Beetles. And, according to E! Online, "Jordan Knight, Joey McIntyre, Donnie Wahlberg, Jonathan Knight and Danny Wood will be making like the Spice Girls and relaunching their once chart-dominating act."
Ok so the boys have aged a bit (like twenty years), and their moves may not be what they once where (I hear you lose flexibility with age), but there is still the chance that these men could still have "The Right Stuff".
I was too young to fully appreciate their act the first time around...but I just might make an effort to catch them this time around. I'll be the first to admit I'm in love with the Backstreet Boys. I counted down the days until this past fall's "Unbreakable" hit the shelves. I have a feeling there are still a few closet NKOTB fans (like my cousin whose name I'll withhold in hopes of still getting a birthday present this year) who'd financially support a reunion.
But should NKOTB bring it back? Do you risk tainting something that at once time was so good? The Backstreet boys have continued to pump out albums (their latest without member Kevin Richardson) and have seemingly found success...but they never really quit...just got old. NKOTB officially retired. The band broke up. And reunion tours can often get tempermental. So what do you think? Is it worth seeing Joey McIntyre out there again? WHOA!

No comments: