Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Inside the New "10 Things"


For the record I've given the new 10 Things I Hate About You a try. I have a rule that pilot's are a poor judge of a show's quality (e.g. the pilot of The Office really sucked), so it'll hold my attention for at least one more episode before I make the firm decision weather to become a fan or hold it forever in contempt.
As much as I've bitched about it in the past, I really WANT to like the new ABC Family series. Mostly, as a HUGE fan of the original film, I don't want it to ruin the franchise.
When I think 10 Things I'll always think Heath Ledger and Julia Stiles...but I have to come to terms with the fact that there is a new generation out there who will likely relate the franchise to its new stars: Meaghan Jette Martin and Ethan Peck.
TV Guide recently did an interview with Meaghan Jette Martin... I've included the "high lights" and my commentary below.

TVGuide.com: A lot of die-hard fans of the movie feel there shouldn't be a TV show, especially now that Heath has died. What do you think about that?
Martin:
That's such an interesting thing because the movie is an adaptation of The Taming of the Shrew and Shakespeare passed away. Was the movie disrespecting Shakespeare? And Kiss Me Kate is a musical based off of Taming of the Shrew, [just like] 10 Things I Hate About You. Just because we're using the same title and character names doesn't mean we're trying to take away from the movie, because it's still an awesome movie. And obviously [director] Gil Junger and Larry Miller wouldn't be behind it if they didn't think it was worth it. And if people remember correctly, Heath Ledger actually wasn't so proud of the movie. He did not want to do a teen comedy.

I don't think Ledger ever said he wasn't proud of the MOVIE... I think he just wasn't a fan of sticking himself in the teen genre. That's why he turned down subsequent teen film roles to take on more adult characters. Also, as a fan the reason I don't want a remake is because I liked the original characters so much.

TVGuide.com: Larry Miller, who was in the 10 Things movie, is also on the TV show. Have you heard from any of the movie's other stars?
Meaghan Jette Martin:
Unfortunately, I didn't get to go to the premiere party because I was working! [Laughs] But there were a lot of the original cast at the premiere party and all of our cast members who got to go said they were very encouraging. And a couple of them want to guest on the show, which I think would be super-cool. They could play our teachers or something.

It's probably a good sign that some of the movie's cast members showed up to the premiere and support the show. I doubt they would if it totally sucked. I'm just curious to see WHICH cast members attended. I would LOVE to see Allison Janney, Joseph Gordan Levvitt, or Daryl "the Chill" Mitchell back in the series. Better yet, there could be a NUMBERS-10 Things crossover episode where David Krumholtz reprises his role as the nerd and gives a math lecture to the 10 Things crowd (he plays a prof on the hit CBS show anyways!).

TVGuide.com: Kat goes to prom for Bianca in the movie. Are we going to see any of those sisterly favors?
Martin:
There's going to be a dance in Episode 8. It's a true and honest relationship between Kat and Bianca. I have an older sister and we fight and bicker, but in the end we love each other and we make sacrifices for each other and help each other out.

If the dance scene features "Shout" or "Angels Fall" I may just have a heart attack. The dance scene from the film is one of my all-time favorite movie moments. Nothing beats the camera shot when Kat runs away from Patrick and down the stairs as the music in the background plays "God Knows Even Angels Fall". I get goosebumps just thinking about it.
And... on that note... if they dare have Kat recite a poem ANYWHERE in the TV serious I'll be uber-pissed off.

No comments: