Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Big Love: The Best Show You're Not Watching on Television


Five million people on average tune in to watch HBO's hit series "Big Love". I bet you're not one of them. That's a shame. You should be.
I am a recent "Big Love" convert. A few weeks ago, at a friend's request, I started watching the series, and ever since I've been a full-on addict. It took me two weeks to catch up on all of the first two seasons, and the six episodes that made up the second. Had there been more hours in a day, I'd have been caught up even sooner.
"Big Love" centers on a polygamist family living in Utah. The concept may sound foreign (then again, most TV concepts are if you really think about them), but the messages often hit painfully close to home. The key to the series is its cast. Bill Paxton, Chloe Sevigny, Ginnifer Goodwin, Jeanne Tripplethorn, and Amanda Seyfried lead the way in an ensemble that makes the Women of Wisteria Lane look tame.
The show is smart, funny, witty, and incredibly well-written. Each 50 plus minute episode will leave you hungering for more, and each additional episode will continue to deliver.
It's a shame that the show is being buried on HBO (then again much of the content in season one would never make it onto cable). The good news is that episodes are longer and commercial free, the bad is that having HBO is like having an Escalade-rare and envied.
I don't know many of my college friends who can claim their cable package (if they even have cable) includes HBO. I certainly can't afford it. The good news is that with the power of the internet (and iTunes) I've still been able to enjoy each episode. As a result I highly encourage you to do the same.
There is a reason it's called Big Love...because five million plus people out there are in big love with it.

No comments: